If you’re anything like me, your biggest regret from childhood is resisting all those nap times. Seriously? Resist napping? What were we thinking?! That’s why I have put together these 9 interesting facts about napping so that next time, you won’t be so quick to opt out.
Now, as an adult, any day that I get to take a nap is a good day! Unfortunately, those days are rare. With work, family, and life all taking up the majority of our time, it can be nearly impossible to fit in the kind of nap we really want. And let’s be real, most of us actually end up taking more of a mid-day sleep rather than a nap anyway.
But naps aren’t all bad – in fact, they can actually make you more focused and productive if done correctly. But, since we are more likely stuck dreaming of napping rather than actually napping, here are a few interesting facts.
9 Interesting Facts About Napping
01. A shorter nap (around 20-30 minutes) is recommended for improved short-term alertness. A shorter nap leave you feeling refreshed and focused without making you feel groggy or interfering with your nighttime sleep.
02. A study at NASA on military pilots found that short naps improved performance by up to 34%.
03. If you’re feeling extra stressed, a nap can act as a sort of mini-vacation allowing you to relax and escape for a short period of time.
04. Even if you can’t fall asleep, even just laying down for a short time can be beneficial as it lowers blood pressure, thus relieving a small amount of stress.
05. One study found that napping at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes resulted in a 37% lower death rate due to heart problems.
06. Napping doesn’t always keep you awake – studies have found that they can actually increase your ability to stay asleep all night by 12% and lower the time required to fall asleep by 14%.
07. In ancient rome, everyone took a pre-scheduled nap after lunch time.
08. A nap as short as 2-5 minutes long has been shown to be an effective means of getting rid of sleepiness.
09. There is actually a napping competition called the National Siesta Championship held in Madrid every year where the winner can take home a cash prize.