If you know me at all, you’ll know that I have an absolute weakness for books. I just absolutely love reading – and I have for as long as I can remember. According to my mom I used to get upset because I couldn’t read. I would always just memorize the books that she read to me based on the pictures. But since a young age, there are few things that I have found as exciting or fulfilling as cracking open a new books.
To share this joy and maybe teach you a few things about those books that we love, here are a few of the most interesting facts about books.
- The people of India are the world’s most average readers. On average, an individual will spend around 10.7 hours a week just reading!
- The Harry Potter books are allegedly the most banned books in America due to religious complaints.
- The record for most people balancing books on their heads at the same place and same time is 998 people in Sydney, Australia in 2012.
- The Japanese word ‘tsundoku’ apparently means “buying lots of books and then never getting around to reading them.”
- Only around 2% of more than 1.2 million books published each year sell more than 500,000 copies.
- ‘Bibliosmia’ is the word for the enjoyment of the smell of old books. (Guilty of this one myself!)
- One study found that people who read are two and a half times less likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s later in life.
- Sadly, one in four Americans claim that they have read ZERO books in the past year. :(
Here’s to reading and a good book!
What’s your favorite book? Let me know in the comments section!