When I think of January, I usually think of the New Year, setting new goals, and cold weather (although here in California that’s not so much the case which causes a bit of dissonance, but that’s not the point.) As it turns out though, there’s a whole lot more to January than just those things!
When I began my researching, I realized that not only is January a pretty cool month, it also doesn’t get nearly the credit that it deserves!
So in effort to shed some light on the coolness that is the month of January, here are a few facts you might of known:
1. January is named after the Roman god Janus, who was always shown as having two heads. He looked back to the last year and forward to the new one.
2. The Anglo-Saxons called January “Wulfmonath” as it was the month hungry wolves came scavenging at people’s doors.
3. It’s National Soup Month in the U.S.
4. The only Shakespeare plays that mention January are Much Ado About Nothing and Winter’s Tale.
5. More couples separate or divorce in January than in any other month.
6. January 1st is both the furthest away and closest day to December 31st.
What do you think about January?