If you didn’t already know, today is Cyber Monday. For many, it’s the day that you log on to the websites of all your favorite retailers to check out what sorts of online-only deals they have to offer.
It may seem like some big marketing ploy (and in many cases maybe it is), but sometimes you’ll actually come across some pretty awesome deals. If you’re already planning to do some of your holiday shopping online, it may be worth your effort to check and see if there are any good discounts to help you save a little more.
And, just for your entertainment, here are a few very interesting facts about online shopping:
1. More than 4 percent of Americans admit that they have made an online purchase (via mobile device) while at a social gathering.
2. 78 percent of shoppers use the internet to purchase or research future purchases every year.
3. Amazon is the most popular online store earning more than 48 billion in the U.S each year.
4. Last year was the biggest Cyber Monday yet, hitting $1.7 billion in online spending. That’s a 17% year-over-year increase.
5. Cyber Monday is social too – Last year on Facebook, referral traffic for top retailers spiked 240% compared to other average Mondays.
6. In the past, the average amount spent online per person over Thanksgiving weekend was $172.42. Not too shabby. But the average online shopper spent $194.46 on Monday, nearly 13% higher.
7. Previously, the average number of items per order on Cyber Monday was 8.3. compared to Black Friday, which was 5.6.
8. If you think shopping holidays are geared towards women, you’re wrong. According to a survery, men (43%) actually claim to shop online during Cyber Monday more than women (39%).
9. On a typical day, online sales peak at 11:25 AM EST.
10. Top products purchased online include apparel (31%), books/DVDs/video games (28%) and consumer electronics (25%).
11. Research estimates that the U.S. retail industry will be worth $279 billion in 2015.
12. On Amazon’s peak day, the retail giants sells up so 320 products per second.
Check out TipsyWriter on Facebook and Twitter for more!